Monday, April 23, 2007

"If You Go Straight Long Enough / You'll End Up Where You Were"

Modest Mouse rocks.

Earnestness is embarrassing to witness. Why? Because you're not emotionally involved the way the other person is. So all of a sudden you come across someone who is pulling his hair out in desperation, frustrated by some corporation or some government program or just his particular life, and you look away to save yourself the embarrassment.

So why do I keep writing a blog? What can I have to say that won't make the people who know me uncomfortable? I feel passionately about some things in my life. Those are the things I want to write about, but those are also the things that will embarrass you folks who are reading this. So in the name of civility and decorum and whatnot, I should just say nothing at all.

When someone asks "How are you?" he doesn't really want to know.


Title from Modest Mouse's song "3rd Planet."

No comments: