Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Politicking on a College Campus

So they are having student body elections at KU this week. Actually, the parties have been campaigning since January, but they didn't get around to formulating platforms until Spring Break. So I stopped by their booths yesterday to see what each coalition supports.

There are three groups, and they each have a main issue. The first group wants to subsidize STD testing at the student health center. (Something tells me that this isn't an issue at BYU's McDonald Health Center.) The second group wants to change the dorm room meal plan accounting system. The third group wants to allow people to take a class credit/no credit and then turn that into an A if they actually earned an A.

I told the woman from the third group that none of these issues affect me. I don't have an STD, I don't live in the dorms, and I don't take my classes credit/no credit. Showing her skills (or, as the kids say these days, skillz) as a politician, she immediately transitioned into an issue that DOES affect me, which is information technology.

Now, you have to understand the weather here in Kansas for the past two weeks. After some of the most gorgeous spring weather anyone could ever dream of, it turned nut-freezing cold last Tuesday and has barely warmed up to nut-numbing cold. Add to that the drizzle that started yesterday. So this woman, Hannah, was dressed in a parka and couldn't work her lips very well because she'd been outside for so long. While we were talking, though, the second coalition had two girls running around campus in Jayhawk string bikinis to raise support. (Again, not a staple feature of BYU student campaigns.)

I tried to show my contempt for such political shenanigans by concentrating more on Hannah while she talked. (I'm pretty sure I'm going to vote for her tomorrow, although the Bikini Party's plan of textbook renting is intriguing.) But if someone saw what I saw yesterday and then was asked to develop a one-sentence summary of KU students, it would probably be something like this: "The average KU student is an irresponsibly promiscuous underclassmen who can't get good grades and makes decisions based on who's dressed like more of a whore." And that is a pretty accurate summary.

No comments: