Thursday, April 26, 2007

"This Is Why I'm Hot"

Last month I had to go in and talk to my faculty adviser, who game me a B in micro last semester even though I think I earned an A. As I was leaving, he said, "You're going to be getting a letter from us because you're getting some money." That was all he said. What is that supposed to mean? I hadn't applied for anything. Maybe they were just giving out ten dollar rebates or something. So I said thanks and left.

Then this Tuesday I went to International Trade and my professor gave me a letter from the department and said, "Congratulations. I hope you can make it to the dinner." I had no idea what he meant. So I went out in the hall and read the letter, and the Economics Department is giving me a scholarship for next year, and they're presenting it to me at the department awards dinner next week.

That is all I know so far. It could be for six dollars or for a billion. I guess it could even be for a negative amount, like a special punative tuition rate. Who knows? So I don't want to get too excited about it, yet. Also, they have given me no indication why they chose me. Did they pull my name out of a hat, or did someone in the department nominate me, or what? I guess I'll find out at the dinner on Tuesday.

But I'm kind of excited about it. I don't want to be a jerk and all, but I think it's pretty cool. I like to think that the faculty members all have man-crushes on me and are cutting three staff positions to afford the massive cash payout I'll receive, but that's probably not the case. I just hope I get some sort of oversized check handed to me. Even if it's just for twenty bucks, I've always wanted to take an oversized check from someone while my picture was taken.

I wonder if they are expecting me to say anything on Tuesday?


Title evidently from the eponymous song by something called Mims. Is this a person or a group, or a portmanteau for "miniature Sims"?

2 comments:

Cristin Lassen said...

I've always wanted to take an oversized check to the bank to cash. Now that would be cool to hand it to the teller. Yeah?

Erik said...

Brandon that ROCKS! Honestly, I’m not surprised though. Seriously, good for you, make sure you let us know what the scholarship turns out to be!

I think I just figured out why we are such good friends. You are one of the smartest and most well read people I know, and yet you constantly doubt your ability and capacity. Everyone that knows you knows that you are capable of amazing things, and that you have an amazing mind. I thought this the other day, if I ran for president; I would have you on my cabinet because you know so much about everything. I wondered when you sleep, because you seem to read so stinking much.
I, like you, also constantly doubt myself, and my capabilities. More then anything, I find myself wishing to know the future before it happens so I could base some confidence and self esteem on knowing that everything turns out ok in the end. I am often not able to sleep at night because I have so much anxiety about how I may be wasting my life away. I waste so much time and effort on worrying and evaluating my performance at work, home, and current life situation. Recently on the same day, my sister and another really close friend both told me in unrelated conversations that out of all their friends/family they knew that if anyone was going to “make it” it was going to be me. It really made me think and wonder why they think that.

You are one of the smartest people I know. I remember going to the BYU Geography bowl to watch you compete against the Air Force Academy. If I remember right, BYU won the bowl with ~600 points to AFA ~300 points. You were personally responsible for like ~350 points. All this from a guy who was on Academic probation, and yet your professor sought you out to be on the team. I still remember being shocked at the number of questions that you knew the answer too.

You have the capacity, ability, skills to make your dreams come true. Everyone that knows you knows this is true. I know you are going to make it at what ever it is that you want to make it at. I guess we would all have more confidence in ourselves if we could see what others see in us. Sorry if this rave is long and cheesy. Make it happen, I know you’ve got what it takes.