Monday, November 19, 2007

On the Bandwagon, With Reservations

From the beginning of this football season, I have had two problems with the Kansas Jayhawks: 1. their early-season hype was completely unwarranted (see here), and 2. The University of Kansas cares more about athletics than about academics (see here and here).

I stand by those assessments. However, KU has played its conference schedule against much stronger teams than comprised their non-conference schedule, and the football team has taken steps to make future non-conference schedules more demanding. When the Jayhawks beat Florida International and then fans all over Lawrence were screaming for a national ranking, I was telling them to shut up. Now the Jayhawks are one of two undefeated teams remaining in the FBS division with victories over quality teams, and I don't feel that I've been proven wrong. Mind you, my entire argument was "the team has not shown itself to be good," and at that time I was correct. The team has now shown itself to be good, but that doesn't disprove my earlier point. Should KU win out against highly-ranked teams such as Missouri and Oklahoma, they will show themselves to be much better than a victory over Florida International ever could.

As to my second point, nothing has changed. The only difference is that football games are on Saturdays, so they don't affect school as much. I've had my wife drop me off and pick me up at the library on game days without a problem. However, every time there is a home basketball game, there is no place to park to go to the library that night. Last week I had to meet with two classmates at the library, but every parking lot on campus was blocked off because the basketball team was playing Washburn. I asked one of the parking lot attendants where I should park to go to the library and he said in his best Missouri drawl, "Uh, I don' even know where the libery is." I thought, "You don't know where the library is, or you don't know what the library is?"

So I don't think I am betraying myself if I root for KU this weekend, am I? I mean, what else am I supposed to do, root for slavers?

1 comment:

Nance said...

I've always thought it was funny that as much as you were against Jayhawk sports, you want to own all sorts of Jayhawk apparel. But then I realized everything you buy for you just says Kansas and includes no "Jayhawk" or picture of a Jayhawk. It's just what out kids pick out that has Jayhawk stuff all over it.