Monday, January 21, 2008

"I Don't Know Nothin' 'Bout Birthin' No Babies"

I work with a guy who seems pretty ignorant of anything related to babies. To spice things up around here I’ve instituted an office pool where we predict the date of birth for Baby X, and when people asked me for a status report before picking a date, this guy was grossed out and tried to not listen to anything regarding “effacement” or “dilation.” However, to this co-worker’s credit, he’s not as ignorant as a guy I met last week. At a meeting for my newer job I mentioned that my wife was due to deliver on Tuesday, so at some point in the next week I might be unavailable. He said, “Well, you should get someone to cover for you.” I said, “I know. That’s why I’m telling you all right now that it might happen soon.” He said, “But you should get someone since you know the day.” The professor for whom we’re working said, “But there is no the day with this thing.” The other guy didn’t know why, if the baby was due on Tuesday, it wouldn’t be here on Tuesday.


Title from "Gone With the Wind," a movie which proves that, when people were poorer, they were much easier to entertain.

No comments: