Friday, April 11, 2008

I Don't Believe in Oprah

I’d like to give a shout-out to religious freedom, which allows me to believe in 1st-century gods like a non-Trinity Jesus while allowing others, such as the woman quoted in this New York Times article, to believe in modern gods like Oprah.

I found this while looking through the paper in bed last night and I knew modern religion had passed me by when I read this quote:

“The feeling is, Oprah had this on, and now, I’m wearing it?" Ms. Hoy explained over lunch near the store last week. "When you go in there, you just feel great, like you are somebody, like Oprah is touching you.”

So it turns out the cure for alienation is a near-Oprah experience. I bet Marx never saw that coming!

1 comment:

JT said...

I believe that this says it all... (But I reserve the right to post another comment in the future)...

"Ms. Hoy was thrilled that her purchase showed slight underarm stains, proof positive that Ms. Winfrey’s underarms had been there."