Thursday, June 20, 2013

Making My Blog As Crappy As My Filing Cabinet

I want to clear out my filing cabinet, so I'm going to move over some interesting quotes I've got jotted down on scraps of paper. Because everybody wants to read that crap, right?

"Speak the truth, but leave immediately after." - Slovenian Proverb

"There is no subtler, no surer means of overturning the existing basis of society than to debauch the currency." - John Maynard Keynes

"Sometimes I wonder about the Creator of the Universe." - Kurt Vonnegut, Breakfast of Champions, p. 160

"There is no way a beautiful woman can live up to what she looks like for any appreciable length of time." - Kurt Vonnegut, Timequake, p. 22

"Men are jerks. Women are psychotic." - ibid.

"I couldn't help wondering if that was what God put me on Earth for--to find out how much a man could take without breaking." - Kurt Vonnegut, Breakfast of Champions, p. 166

"Government, unlike private enterprise, is not in the business of seeking profits or trying to avoid losses. Far from eager to court the consumer, government officials invariably regard consumers as an annoying intrusion and as 'wasteful' users of 'their' (government's) scare resources. Governments are invariably at war with their consumers." - Murray N. Rothbard

"Joblessness is no longer just for philosophy majors; useful people are starting to feel the pinch." - Kent Brockman, Channel 6 News (The Simpsons 1F08)

"Clinton's an unusually good liar. Unusually good. Do you realize that?" - Sen. Bob Kerry (D-NE)

"[For] 32 years of my life,...every dollar I made was lost before I made it. It is a great burden, figuratively speaking, to have a dead horse, and to have to carry the horse for 32 years before you can put it under the ground." - Heber J. Grant

"Out of the quarrel with others we make rhetoric; out of the quarrel with ourselves we make poetry." - William B. Yeats

"I am getting so damned tired, Mr. President, of this everlasting yielding to popular outcry against wealth that unless we put a check on it somewhere there is no telling where it will lead." - Rep. Joe Cannon, Speaker of the House, to Pres. William H. Taft, as quoted in Paolo E. Coletta's The Presidency of William Howard Taft, p. 125

No comments: