Monday, March 16, 2015

Scheduling (Or Lack of It)

My school's schedule was set by a drunk. That's the only explanation that allows me to sleep at night. Because if a sober person developed this calendar, and is in an authoritative position, well, I don't want to think about that.

I teach AP classes, where the capstone event is the AP exam. These exams happen during the first two weeks of May. School then continues for two more months.

Well, only for teachers. Seniors get to stop coming to school at the end of May. The other students get to stop at the end of June. Only the faculty has to keep coming to work until July 11th. And we've been told very explicitly, we must be at work until 4 PM on July 8th.

You've got to hand it to those Communists, still sticking with the labor theory of value. If we make our workers be at work, even if they have nothing to do, we make the school better.

There are three major American holidays in summer: Memorial Day, Independence Day, and Labor Day. If I were overseas and looking to go back to America for a visit, I would target a holiday, when it would be more likely that my friends and family would be available to see me. But our school is in session for all three American summer holidays.

I'm fine with it because I wasn't going to America for the summer, anyway. But this isn't the schedule of a school that wants to increase its appeal among foreign potential teachers.

No comments: