Wednesday, April 15, 2015

The Great Leap, Well, What's the Opposite of "Forward"?

My wife and kids have had a standing plan to go to Tian'anmen Square with another family. They've been waiting for a day with cleaner air. Last night's sandstorm (which raised the PM 10 reading to "exceeds index" for a few hours) cleared out all the pollution and things are fantastic today. So when I was preparing for work, my family was preparing for a day of tourism.

On the agenda is seeing Mao's dead body, which creeps my kids out. I told them, "They had to do so much to it to preserve it that it's basically a wax work." They said, "Then why didn't they just use a wax work?" I said, "Some places around the world are more comfortable with death."

On my way out the door this morning, I said, "Enjoy seeing Mao's dead body. Don't get caught up in his cult of personality. Remember, he murdered millions of people." My wife said to the kids, "Don't mention that while we're there."

No comments: