Friday, April 03, 2015

Yahoo! Saves Its A-Game for Foreigners

I've written before about how September 11th got me in the habit of checking Yahoo! News, and how the habit has become increasingly terrible as the news coverage has become increasingly abysmal. But Yahoo! News has one saving grace: they push legitimate, substantial news stories on foreigners.

If I visit Yahoo! with my VPN on, I get a bunch of articles about Suki Waterhouse (which sounds like an accounting firm started by Tom Cruise's kid, but which is actually a collection of money and clothing). But if I turn my VPN off, I get story after story analyzing the Chinese economy, military, and political landscape. It completely changes everything. Yahoo! goes from my worst news source to my best, just by turning off my VPN.

No comments: