Friday, May 08, 2015

Not Quite Obviously Unironic

I was trying to watch a segment of a satirical comedy show, and it started with a commercial. The guy starts out showing you his brand new Lamborghini, and then he says, "But you know what I like a lot more than materialistic things? Knowledge. In fact, I'm a lot more proud of these seven new bookshelves that I had to get installed to hold 2,000 new books that I bought."

Okay, so something that's better than materialism is buying bookshelves, buying installation services, and buying books. Materialism: bad. Buying things: good. Got it.

I honestly didn't know if the video had started yet. If someone was trying to make a satirical video of this kind of presentation, I don't know what he would have done differently. The video is self-satire.

The worst of it is I happen to know some people who would probably eat up every word this guy says.

No comments: