Friday, July 31, 2015

Randomness to End July

At my school, some of the employees live in an on-campus apartment building and some live in off-campus apartments across the main road. We live on-campus because all the off-campus places are one- or two-bedroom places. My colleagues who have allowed me to use their apartment as an office this summer live in an off-campus place. In their complex, they have this sign displaying some notice to the residents.

What's weird about it is the date. Everything else we've seen that has a date on it has four digits and the character for "year," like, "2015年." This date, though, is written like, "Two 0 One Five Year." Not all in digits, but also not all in characters, since it doesn't use "零" which means "zero." It's also not like they wrote out "Two thousand fifteen." It's just weird.

Here's a photo of what the boys were doing the other day when I was home alone with them. It raises the question: am I terrible father, or am I a genius father?

Answer: I'm a terrible father.

Here's an interesting bit of a blog post from Arnold Kling:

I am becoming increasingly concerned that sending children to college is dangerous for their intellectual health. I am afraid that instead of being told how to think, students are being told not to think. They are being [given? - ARS] ideological role models, not intellectual role models.

Had someone expressed such sentiments to me fifteen years ago, I would have dismissed that person as a paranoid right-wing nutjob. I infer that in the meantime either I have turned into a paranoid right-wing nut job [sic] or there has been a significant erosion of intellectual integrity at American colleges, or both.

Kling misses a third explanation: the "nutjobs" weren't nutjobs. That one's harder to see because we get attached to our uncharitable views. In some senses it's easier for us to think "well, I must be crazy now" than to think "I guess I was wrong about those people I thought were crazy."

I noticed the other day that the Feedly view of my blog posts doesn't display anything in block quotes. So if you care about that kind of thing, now you know.

No comments: