Thursday, August 27, 2015

Working Conditions

Our school is using temporary space elsewhere on campus because of remodeling to our building. Yesterday we were told that the environmental cleanup for the World War Two commemoration parade has set construction back two months, so we will be using the temporary space all year instead of just the first semester.

I'm actually okay with that. Part of me getting reassigned to a different program was that both programs budgeted space for me, so instead of having a shared classroom like almost everyone else, my potential officemate and I are each going to have our own rooms.

I cannot even begin to tell you how productive this is going to make me.

Over the past 10 years or so I've learned a lot about myself. One of the things I've learned is that my procrastination is usually a play for solitude. I need to be left alone and be reasonably certain I will not be interrupted. When I worked in city government, I would spend the morning trying to look busy and then I would do all my work when my officemate was at lunch. When I worked later afternoons in Kansas, I would get everything done from 5 to 7 when I had the office to myself. Already this week I've been much more inclined to do work than check social media or read the news. I'm going to get work done this year, and that's awesome.

No comments: