Monday, September 14, 2015

Family Holiday, Ten Years Later

On 14 September 2005, my wife and kids (then just two) flew from California to join me in Kansas. This is the event commemorated in our family celebration of each anniversary of this day.

Ideally, I'd be able to say, like Teddy Roosevelt reflecting on his time spent in North Dakota, that all my great accomplishments can be traced back to this decision. Maybe someday.

We wanted to start actively trusting God, to stop taking counsel from our fears. After moving to Kansas without a confirmed job, we've had two kids without health insurance, went to the good graduate school instead of the cheap one, and moved to China. We're trying to be examples to our kids of how to do what's right, not what's easy. I'm not sure if it's just coincidence or not that we're also turning out to be examples to our kids of how to be poor.

No comments: