Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Elder Uncle Rico of the Fifth Quorum of the State Championship

A few days ago, I wrote my review of President Nelson's visit to Beijing. Another blogger I follow wrote his review of President Nelson's visit to Shanghai. One is all faithful and spiritual and mature. And the other one is my review.

We didn't get told the story of how President Nelson was given the task of overseeing the introduction of the gospel to eastern Europe. Instead, we got told, "We get asked when there's going to be a temple in China, but there are already temples here, because your body is a temple."

Seriously, sometimes it seems like if I'm in the audience, the audience is getting the "shut up and accept it" version of the story. Like how, two district conferences ago, the visiting general authority responded to my question about the possibility of using member groups in China by telling me to quit coming to church if I didn't like long commutes.

I mean, I get it, and it's true--"to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life." But why, for over 15 years now, when I have questions my leaders always give the Uncle Rico response: "You know what, Napoleon? If you don't like it, you can leave!" Maybe what they're saying is that I'm too much like Napoleon, who got that response from Uncle Rico by saying, "This is pretty much the worst video ever made!" So if I'm going to call it the Elder Uncle Rico response, I need to acknowledge that I'm being Brother Dynamite (which is actually an awesome church name).

No comments: