Monday, October 26, 2015

We Do Regional Conferences A Little Differently Here in China

We had a busy weekend that started on Thursday. That was when we had an evening church meeting with some visiting church officials. One of them was President Russell M. Nelson of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. It was especially cool to me because when I was a little boy I remember attending a regional conference at the UCSB Events Center with then-junior-most apostle Russell M. Nelson. (By "I remember," I mean I sat on a folding chair in a basketball arena and endured a long car trip before and after. I have no recollection of the actual meeting.)

Wednesday night when we were eating supper, I noticed that it was exactly the same time that the meeting would start the next evening. I said to my family, "At this exact time tomorrow we'll be sitting in church, and the lights will go down and [regional authority] Elder Toronto will get on a microphone and say, "Mormons of Beijing, ARE...YOU...READYYYYYYYYYYY?!?!?!" and they'll start playing that 'y'all ready for this' song. Then President Nelson will come in the back door in a black silk boxing robe with the hood up, hanging over his face, and the back will be embroidered with 'The Prez,' and he'll come up the aisle to his walk-up music, which is probably some rap song by 2 Chainz."

Jerome looked uncertain of whether I was telling the truth, but by the end of the story, he seemed pretty certain that I was making it up. And in fact, the next night, almost none of those things actually happened.

No comments: