Monday, October 12, 2015

What I'd Do If I Could Do Anything

For over a year or so, now, I've had this idea. I'd like to run a think tank that explores both the Mormon concept of Zion and Catholic Social Theory, and looks for ways they can be implemented in the modern world while respecting individual liberty. We would agree with Pope Francis about many of his goals for the world, but look for voluntary, free-market means to meet those goals.

My working name for this is Nibley-Chesterton Institute. Patent pending.

Why don't I do it? Well, I don't know enough about 1) the Mormon concept of Zion, 2) Catholic Social Theory, 3) the modern world, 4) individual liberty, 5) Pope Francis's goals, 6) voluntary, free-market means, 7) Hugh Nibley, or 8) G.K. Chesterton. Or how to support my family from such an idea. But other than that, I could totally make it work.

On a quasi-related point, here's an article about Pope Francis's current synod and some push-back from high-ranking cardinals. I don't know enough about Catholicism to comment, so I'll just say this is intriguing to me and I'd like to learn more.

No comments: