Monday, November 09, 2015

American Safety

My wife said to me this week, "One thing I'm going to miss about China is the safety." We can go anywhere in Beijing. Just because we're in a poor neighborhood doesn't mean that we're not safe. Contrast that to the tourist guides that try to impress on foreigners just how quickly they will die if they try to visit the Frederick Douglass House in Anacostia.

This morning when I checked the news I read a story about a burned body found in Massachusetts and--most worrying to me, as someone who owns an SUV, has a hot wife, and wants to live in Philadelphia--a couple was shot while having sex in the back of an SUV in Philadelphia.

Not to worry, the police are busy responding to the real safety issues: a poor woman who left her children nearby while interviewing for a job. She was arrested. That's some fine police work there, Lou.

No comments: