Thursday, November 12, 2015

Genghis Khan Used This Method of Communicating, Didn't He?

I try to wake up at 3 AM so I can work on my dissertation. This means I need to go to sleep at 8 PM. At the same time, I have so much worthless crap to do at work that I have to stay until 6:30 or 7 most night. So the evenings that my wife has something to do (like Tuesdays when she takes our daughter across town for Young Women or tonight with her book club), I don't see her after I leave for work in the morning.

This past Tuesday when I was getting our youngest ready for bed, I noticed a bump on his thigh. Now, it could just be a freckle or a wart or a sebaceous cyst, but it could also be molluscum contagiosum, a super-annoying skin condition that has cycled through all three of our boys over the past six years. He had recently had his last bump go away, so it if was another one of these, we'd need to start covering it and treating it.

I needed to bring this to my wife's attention, but I would be in bed before she got home and I would see her for about 40 eventful minutes the next morning. How would I make sure that my wife saw this bump and knew what my worries were?

I'm not certain, but I'm pretty sure that using your son's body as a whiteboard gets you fast-tracked for some sort of Father of the Year award.

No comments: