Wednesday, December 09, 2015

Reading Plan for the Remaining Year

The other day I was feeling too constricted in my book choices, so I went through my "to read" list on GoodReads and tried to find them on the digital library sites we have available to us.

First of all, we have access to a lot of libraries. This comes from me being a professional failure, which has led to our family moving around frequently. We can get e-books from libraries in California, Kansas, Virginia, and Ohio--six systems in all.

Second of all, it turns out I like some obscure crap. Because nearly every book I looked up wasn't available.

You can use three broad categories to sort my "to read" list: LDS apologia, economics, and fiction. Only some of the fiction was available. And that was how I ended up reading Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. A little later, a copy of The Martian became available. And one of the libraries took acquisition requests, so I'm now also reading Why We Hate Us. So by the end of December, I should finish the following books:

  • Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Wilford Woodruff, by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - 67%
  • Ruby Redfort: Feel the Fear, by Lauren Child - 76%
  • Never Let Me Go, by Kazuo Ishiguro - 80%
  • The Martian, by Andy Weir - 20%
  • Why We Hate Us, by Dick Meyer - 13%

No comments: