Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Chinese Labor Opportunities

I usually don't eat lunch with anyone, but today I ended up sitting with three colleagues. One started telling us stories of his last school, also in China. When he agreed to teach there, he was told the school had 300 students. When he arrived, they only had nine. By the end of the school year, they were down to two.

I asked, "What do you do with your time when you've prepared for 300 students and you end up with only nine?"

He said, "You get a master's degree. All the staff got online degrees while we were there."

I said, "Actually, that sounds awesome to me. I would love to get paid and have everyone leave me alone so I can finish my degree work."

He said, "My wife is best friends with the owner's wife, so let me know if you're serious."

I said, "I'll jokingly mention it to my wife, and if she doesn't immediately laugh me out of the room, I'll get back to you." But then I said, "With my luck they'll be up to 300 students now and they'll say, 'Of course you have to teach; what did you think we hired you to do, finish your dissertation?!'"

No comments: