Sunday, April 10, 2016

Rectum v. Colon

I had a thought this past weekend and in response to it I thought, "That thought is important, true, and innovative. You need to write your next blog post about it."

I can't remember what it is now.

So instead, I'll write about poop. Actually, about the parts of the body that make poop.

Today I had this question: "Given that the role of the large intestine is to absorb water from feces, is there value gained by clenching against diarrhea, giving your body more time to absorb water from it, or is it too late by the time the diarrhea has reached your colon?" So I looked up "colon" on Wikipedia, and I learned that the term "colon" is actually just a synonym for "large intestine."

I guess I was imagining that the colon was between the large intestine and the rectum. Anyway, based on my five minutes on Wikipedia, my expert medical opinion is that it's never too late to absorb water from feces, so retaining diarrhea longer will make it less diarrhea-ey.

It's for pronouncements like that that my loyal reader keeps coming back for more.

NB: Remember, the "math" label doubles as the "science" label.

1 comment:

Stephen Harkleroad said...

The proper role of the rectum is to provide the setup for the punchline "Damn near killed 'em!"