Wednesday, June 08, 2016

Everything's Dead Now

A few months ago, my VPN stopped working at work. But my work had a VPN service we could use. I had avoided it, because it didn't seem legitimate for one branch of the state to provide the tool to circumvent another branch of the state, but once there was nothing else I could do, I started using it.

Last month, my VPN stopped working at home. So anything I needed to do online (aside from family history work--a shout-out to Ancestry.com for working better without a VPN than with one) I had to do at work.

Last week, my work decided to switch VPN services. Gaining access to the new VPN requires applying to HR (why not IT, I wonder). I decided to not do it.

There have been some improvements in using my VPN at home, though (which is how I'm writing this), but I no longer have reliable Internet connectivity to anything that matters.

I return to America in 30 days.

I have a plan to run "best of" blog posts for that time, but since I'm not really comfortable identifying anything on this blog as "best" (let's be honest: it's all crap), I am going to do more of a "on this date" type of thing. Then I'm not making any claims to superiority, just to passing time.

In related news, U.S. Treasury Secretary Jack Lew said this week that American businesses are beginning to wonder if they are welcome in China. He's just being polite: it's painfully obvious to everyone that Americans are no longer welcome here.

No comments: