Wednesday, August 31, 2016

On Cancelled Presidential Elections

In 2012 I wrote this about a potential delay of a presidential election. And in February of this year I wrote this about how such a scenario could play out this time around. Now here's an article from U.S. News & World Report about the idea.

I see the coming Obamacare death spiral as related to this topic (please forgive me for linking to Vox; I only did it because I read about it on Greg Mankiw's blog (the one entitled Greg Mankiw's Blog) and he linked to Vox). A guy who ignored everything else but healthcare and who takes pride in the eponymous nature of public discourse on the project--such a guy will not quietly step aside when faced with "repeal and replace."

The biggest issue, to me, is the fact that we have a system in place that allows for a president to be elected without a popular plebiscite on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November, but I suspect most Americans (and all American media) will ignore that.

Think Florida 2000 writ large.

No comments: