Friday, September 09, 2016

Saying the Opposite

I'm intrigued by songs where the impression I get upon listening is exactly the opposite of the meaning of the lyrics. For instance, in the song "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas," the line "from now on our troubles will be miles away" leaves me with the feeling that the narrator has a ton of troubles. In the Weezer song "Island in the Sun," the line "we'll never feel bad anymore" leaves me with the feeling that the narrator feels terrible.

Recently I've been hearing the Bastille song "Pompeii" (I know it's not new, but I was living abroad for two years, so cut me some slack) and it seems to me that it's another song like this. The line "if you close your eyes does it almost feel like nothing changed at all?" leaves me with the feeling that everything has changed for the narrator.

Bonus intrigue from Bastille: contemplate the line "where do we begin: the rubble or our sins?".

1 comment:

Alanna said...

I do that with the song "Honey, I'm Good."-- Sure you're not gonna cheat, dude-- and in the song "Drive By" I don't believe for a SECOND that he's not gonna bang her and then disappear again.

So, yeah, I get you.