Monday, January 23, 2017

Misleading Marketing

To get the unpleasant taste of Reality Bites out of my mouth, I watched Singles this past weekend. And although it is a far-superior film, I did notice one problem: why is the movie marketed so heavily as the story of Janet and Cliff when it's really the story of Steve and Linda?

The cover of the movie is a picture of Janet and Cliff sitting on a bench. The back of the movie only gives character names with actors' names in parentheses for Janet and Cliff. But the movie starts with a scene from Linda's life, then one from Steve's life. It spends much more time on the Steve/Linda relationship than the Janet/Cliff relationship, and the final vignette is entitled "What Took You So Long?" (from the Steve/Linda storyline), NOT "Bless You" (from the Janet/Cliff storyline).

I feel like the producers considered Bridget Fonda and Matt Dillon bigger draws than Campbell Scott and Kyra Sedgwick, so they misleadingly marketed the movie. Which I guess worked, since I remember 14-year-old me having a crush on Bridget Fonda but no strong feelings for either Campbell Scott or Kyra Sedgwick, and I saw this movie. Well played, producers of Singles.

3 comments:

Nancy said...

I thought Debbie was Bridget Fonda... they tricked me even more!

Alanna said...

But, did you catch Paul Giamatti as the making-out dude in the awkward scene where they meet up for water????? Pretty sure that was his first movie role!

The Man Your Husband Is Worried About said...

We noticed that, and Victor Garber as the Mexican dad who loves Debbie's earrings.