Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Reading to Last the Rest of My Life

Here's what I have sitting around on my side of the bed waiting for me to read it.

This will take me approximately forever.

  1. A Lesson in Secrets, by Jacqueline Winspear. Are Maisie Dobbs books only for ladies? I suspect they might be, but I keep reading them.
  2. The Lord of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien. I read it once before, but now my kids want to listen to it. At over 1,000 pages, I plan for this to be the only book I read to them this year.
  3. Ukridge, by P.G. Wodehouse. Making my way through all of Wodehouse, taking advantage of the fact my university has many of the volumes from the collector's edition series (and I get to check out books for four months at a time).
  4. Meet Mr. Mulliner, by P.G. Wodehouse.
  5. Piccadilly Jim, by P.G. Wodehouse.
  6. Uneasy Money, by P.G. Wodehouse.
  7. Fortress Besieged, by Qian Zhongshu. I bought this at the Foreign Language Bookstore in Beijing for my flight home, but then I ended up sleeping and watching movies. I'm now about one-third through it. I hate that all the names are presented in Wade-Giles, which I don't know, so I end up just reading them as "Chinese Name," and then there's a large dinner party where five or six different people named "Chinese Name" are conversing.
  8. Drawing on the Powers of Heaven, by Grant Von Harrison. Re-reading again.
  9. Fathers as Patriarchs, by Grant Von Harrison. Re-reading again.
  10. Seeing with an Eye of Faith, by Grant Von Harrison. Re-reading again.
  11. Open Water Swimming Manual, by Lynne Cox. Remember in 2009 or so when I decided to learn how to swim (as opposed to the "not drowning" that I had been doing up to that point)? This is a continuation of that process. I know I can't rely on running as my exercise for the rest of my life because it's tough on joints. I'll have to transition to swimming more over the next 10 years or so.
  12. The Book of Mormon, Language Study Edition (Mandarin). This presents the text in three columns: English, Pinyin, and traditional characters. But since I'm learning simplified characters, I have to read it in connection with...
  13. 摩尔门经.

This stack doesn't include my church lesson manuals for this year. Basically, it's going to be months before I read anything not in this picture.

No comments: