Thursday, February 23, 2017

Fortress Besieged Map

I'm currently reading Qian Zhongshu's Fortress Besieged. A friend of mine commented on Facebook that she thinks it's a great book. I replied, "The realism is a bummer." She correctly observed, "'Realism is a bummer' should be the subtitle for most modern Chinese novels."

One problem I face is that the translators rendered all proper names in Wade-Giles, but I'm learning Chinese in the era of widespread Pinyin. This makes it so I don't know how to pronounce any character's name.

Armed with a trusty conversion table, I have discovered that the main character's name is Fang Hongjian (the book presents this as Fang Hung-chien). I was also able to convert the place names noted during Hongjian's soul-crushing journey to his new place of employment, San Lv University. To assist any other readers who might Google the phrase "Fortress Besieged map," I include below a map I made.

This 13-hour drive took Hongjian and his traveling companions about a month, it seems.

No comments: