Friday, February 03, 2017

Overly-Ambitious Student Seeks to Bankrupt Mom-and-Pop Retailer

My overly-ambitious student had this tale for me leaving class: "Last week I was getting gas and I thought the price was too high. I was at a mom-and-pop place and I said, 'I'll give you this much for it,' and the guy was, like, 'Yeah, okay.'"

He told me this like "smart student saves himself some money." But did he really bargain down an unjustly-high price, or did the retailer misunderstand and think my student was offering what he had available and the retailer agreed to be a nice guy?

And we just take a moment to ask why we all collectively lose our minds when it comes to gasoline prices? It is almost ALWAYS the case that the cheapest gasoline retailer for you to use will be the ONE RIGHT NEXT TO YOU, irrespective of the price. But we drive a mile out of our way to save five cents per gallon, which produces a savings of...less than a dollar. The gas station that is on your pre-determined route, with a right-in-right-out ingress/egress setup, is always your best bet. You don't need an app to tell you that, you just need common sense.

2 comments:

Alanna said...

But if the gas at Costco is cheaper and I go there once a week for groceries and fill up my tank while I'm there, that's saving me money, right? It's if I make a special trip across town that I've spent more on the drive than I saved... right? (This is why I could never get into couponing like so many of my friends-- once you drive to five different stores to buy food you don't actually eat, are you really saving any money at all???)

The Man Your Husband Is Worried About said...

If you're going to be there anyway, then yeah, it's good. If you go there for points or something, maybe. If you're only going there because the gas is cheaper, it's probably not enough of a difference to make it worthwhile. And I think the same points apply to food coupons, as well.