Friday, February 24, 2017

"Pick a Body and Go with It!"

The other day I was thinking about a student I have who looks unhealthfully thin, and I thought, "She maybe has an unhealthful body image." Then I thought of a very overweight person I know, and I wondered what his body image was like.

As we continue to push the "love your body" message as a way of helping people deal with eating disorders and self-esteem problems, is it possible we go too far and condone body types that cause a different set of health problems, like diabetes and heart disease? As with just about all things in life, the answer is somewhere in the middle: you shouldn't want to be as thin as possible, but you also shouldn't give yourself a free pass to be as large as you find yourself being.

Of course, since none of us knows the limitations and conditions of someone else's health and fitness, the lesson to learn here is to not judge others. But what about for the self? Our good-hearted efforts to ease our self-condemnation by accepting our current body types might not lead to optimal health.

Post title from an old Saturday Night Live skit.

No comments: