Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Another Blog Post About Word Pronunciation

Some of you might be aware that I notice words that change pronunciation when they change parts of speech. Blog posts I've written about this can be found here, here, and here.

Well, I found a piece of paper I used to remember some of them, and it has three more I've never blogged about.

PROGRESS: The progress will progress until it stops. The noun has the stress on the first syllable, while the verb has it on the second syllable. Also, some people pronounce the first syllable of the noun with a different vowel noise, more of an "aw."

SUSPECT: I suspect the suspect will be caught. Again, the noun has the stress on the first syllable and the verb doesn't.

ADVOCATE: The advocate will advocate on your behalf. The stress is the same, but the noun has almost a short-I vowel in the final syllable, while the verb has the long-A noise the spelling would indicate.

And along the same lines as "advocate" is SYNDICATE. The syndicate will syndicate the TV episodes.

Finally, I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but now that I'm in my 12th year blogging, I think I have earned the right to repeat myself: there are two word pairs where the change of a letter changes the pronunciation of a different letter. They are: prophesy/prophecy and Nigerian/Nigerien. (A quick search of my blog reveals this is the FOURTH time I've written about prophesy/prophecy, but only the FIRST time I've written about Nigerian/Nigerien.)

1 comment:

Nancy said...

I almost texted you today to tell you address/address. I can't remember if it is one we've used before but one of our kids pronounced a person's mailing address as if they were giving a speech type of address.