Friday, March 17, 2017

Really FINISHED Finished States

I keep track of the counties I visit. Currently, I've been to 1,774 of America's 3,132 counties (and county-equivalents). I am finished with 15 states. Today I spent some time thinking about which of those states you could say I'm "most" done with.

Map courtesy of the awesome county-gathering website www.mob-rule.com/counties

STATES COMPLETED (15): Arizona, Colorado, Delaware, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Missouri, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, Ohio, Utah, Virginia, West Virginia.

STATES COMPLETED & I'VE VISITED EVERY NEIGHBORING STATE (14): Arizona, Colorado, Delaware, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Missouri, New Jersey, New Mexico, Ohio, Utah, Virginia, West Virginia. [Not Nevada, because I have not yet visited Oregon.]

STATES COMPLETED & I'VE VISITED EVERY NEIGHBORING COUNTY (eight): Arizona, Colorado, Delaware, Indiana, Maryland, Ohio, Utah, West Virginia. [Not Kansas, because I'm missing five neighboring counties in Nebraska. Not Kentucky, because I'm missing two neighboring counties in Tennessee. Not Missouri, because I'm missing four neighboring counties in Arkansas and one neighboring county in Oklahoma. Not New Jersey, because I'm missing one neighboring county in New York and one neighboring county in Pennsylvania. Not New Mexico, because I'm missing one neighboring county in Texas. Not Virginia, because I'm missing three neighboring counties in North Carolina.]

STATES COMPLETED & I'VE COMPLETED EVERY NEIGHBORING STATE (zero). [Not Arizona, because I've not completed California. Not Colorado, because I've not completed Nebraska, Oklahoma, and Wyoming. Not Delaware, because I've not completed Pennsylvania. Not Indiana, because I've not completed Illinois and Michigan. Not Maryland, because I've not completed Pennsylvania. Not Ohio, because I've not completed Michigan and Pennsylvania. Not Utah, because I've not completed Idaho and Wyoming. Not West Virginia, because I've not completed Pennsylvania.]

Perhaps of added consideration is which states I've visited not just every county, but also the capitol, the high point, and any Mormon temple. Those are Delaware, Indiana, Maryland, Ohio, Virginia, and West Virginia. As soon as I complete Pennsylvania, three of them will be completely finished, meaning there's nothing left for me to do in those states or in a surrounding state.

No comments: