Thursday, March 16, 2017

Songs That Refer to Their Song Properties

I've written before about noticing songs that mention other songs. I also notice songs that refer to properties of the songs themselves. For instance, dot dot dot:

  • "When You Were Young," by The Killers. When singing the line "I know we can make it if we take it slow," Brandon Flowers slows down for the last three words.
  • "Sweet Transvestite," from The Rocky Horror Picture Show. When singing the line "I see you shiver with anticipation," Tim Curry stops for a bit in the middle of the word "anticipation."
  • "Thunder Road," by Bruce Springsteen. First, when singing the line "I've got this guitar and I've learned how to make it talk," this is immediately followed by a short guitar riff. Second, when singing the very next line, "My car's out back if you're ready to take that long walk," the word "long" is held for a long time.

1 comment:

Alanna said...

I was thinking that last one was an example of coloratura, but I think I've got the wrong word. I've forgotten everything! Anyway, Handel's music has great examples of this, especially the song "Ev'ry Valley" at the beginning of "Messiah." Check it out!