Thursday, March 16, 2017

We Used to Just Call This the Howell Freeway

I was reminded of my post about hyper-detailed highway signs when I read this section of the Wikipedia article about Interstate 580 in Nevada.

There was a time we would have just called it King Freeway and Howell Freeway. Time's arrow is hinted at with the way the older naming includes Dr. King's full name but none of his titles ("the reverend doctor"), while the newer naming includes not just Officer Howell's titles ("deputy sheriff"), but also the jurisdiction that employed him.

And don't be a jerk who tries to turn this into "A Random Stranger thinks Officer Howell shouldn't have a freeway named after him!" That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying there's a loss of public safety when we decide to post eight-word freeway signs where two-word signs would do, and if we still go around using eight-word signs, we must feel we're getting something else that compensates for the increased danger. I believe that "something else" is anthrotheism.

No comments: