Saturday, April 15, 2017

Reading for My Second Lifetime

Yesterday I came home from work and had a few minutes until we were going to eat. I realized I was out of books to read, so I went through our shelves and pulled a collection of books to work on next.

  1. 摩尔门经.
  2. The Book of Mormon, Language Study Edition (Mandarin).
  3. 69 A.D., by Gwyn Morgan. There are some history periods that interest me more than others. One is late antiquity, one is Arthurian Britain, and one is Late Republic Rome. I've owned this book for over 10 years, probably, but have never gotten around to it.
  4. Don't Mess With Travis, by Bob Smiley. My brother-in-law read this and liked it, then mailed a copy to us. My wife read it and liked it.
  5. The Castle, by Franz Kafka. I read his Trial and liked it enough.
  6. Brideshead Revisited, by Evelyn Waugh. I read his Loved One, and it was pretty good. This is taking the place of the Wodehouse book in my life, which is there to mitigate depression. I think I remember reading before that Waugh is funny. The Loved One was funny, I think, but I read it almost 20 years ago.
  7. The Way We Live Now, by Anthony Trollope. I feel like I should read more Victorian literature, but it takes SO LONG. These guys were getting paid by the serial installment. Vanity Fair was over 800 pages to tell a 200-page story. I think I will enjoy this, but when controlling for time spent, I'm not sure I'll find it worth it.
  8. Sailing Alone Around the World, by Joshua Slocum. My one son doesn't read as much as we'd like, so we have to search for different types of books that might appeal to him. We find he likes non-fiction adventure somewhat, so I picked up this book for him. He hasn't read it yet, and I figured I should read it to see if it's late-19th-century origin is going to make it too inaccessible for him.
  9. The Lord of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien. Currently on page 287, two pages ahead of schedule for completion on Dec. 31.
  10. Freddy Goes to Florida, by Walter R. Brooks. While I've decided that Tolkien is the only book I'm reading to my older kids, my youngest son has progressed enough that he needs longer books read to him. While browsing a used bookstore, I found this. I've read a Freddy book by Brooks to my kids before and they liked it, so I figured a Freddy book set in Florida, where we now live, would be a good fit for us.
  11. Freddy the Detective, by Walter R. Brooks. When I decided to read Freddy Goes to Florida, I thought I should read the first book to introduce the characters. That makes sense, probably. But I was wrong about what the first Freddy book is. It turns out it's Freddy Goes to Florida. So I'm reading Freddy the Detective out of order, for no real reason. That sounds exactly like something I'd do.

No comments: