Sunday, November 16, 2014

What Is the Opposite of Raindrops on Roses and Whiskers on Kittens?

So what else makes me belligerent? In addition to arguments supporting statism and arguments denying the restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ, I also become Bruce-Banner angry when I hear Holocaust denials (or downplays), support of abortion, or plans to restrict parental rights. Militant atheists frustrate me, but only receive my ire when they aim to use the state to enforce their religion. (And yes, atheism is a religion. Agnosticism is not, but rare is the true agnostic. It is usually a term used by atheists to make themselves more palatable.)

Former Mormons generally disappoint me, but the ones who can't just leave the Church alone get me angry. Pro-Palestinians, invariably fancied-up anti-Semites, also anger me. Generally, anyone who downplays terrorism sickens me. Islamic State beheadings and everyone who is not repulsed by them infuriate me.

A few years ago, a Cambodian woman at church was asked to give the sermon (Mormons rotate through the congregation giving sermons, which are just referred to as "talks.") The typical talk lasts about 15 minutes and is based on scriptures and teachings of church leaders. This woman's talk last about 40 minutes and it was just a recounting of her experiences under the Khmer Rouge. The more I listened, the more I was angered by the 1960s anti-war movement. The line from Country Joe and the Fish ("One, two, three, what are we fightin' for?") was shockingly answered. We were fighting so this woman and millions like her wouldn't have their spouses murdered, their children stolen, and their heads bashed in when they tried to learn the fates of their loved ones (among other experiences recounted). And any 1960s college student could have learned that had they not been so self-centered. "I don't want to save Asians, man; the sexual revolution's beginning!" Every communist apologist in America was in some small way complicit in what happened to this woman. But my greatest anger was towards the two teenage girls in church who we're mocking how emotional the speaker had become.

These are a few of my least-favorite things.

No comments: